Instant and efficient distributed backup and syncing, triggered whenever a file in a watched replica changes. An alternative dropbox replacement that allows you to sync computers directly, or with your own SSH servers or network attached storage (NAS) boxes.
### sucsynct features ###
* Simple managment (G)UI.
* 2-way "push" updates (event based syncing without polling).
- sets up filesystem event watches on local and remote replicas
- pipes remote notifications through a ssh connection
- works with your own ssh server or NAS device
- requires no external irc server or simmilar service
* Multiple and cascaded replica pair definitions (profiles).
* Uses proven and extensively configurable unison for syncing.
- efficient transfers (no retransmitting of renamed or copied files)
- efficient handling of binary files (transmitts only changed parts)
- not fooled by clock skew or different timezones
- option to keep older file versions
- does not impose ever increasing storage space requirements
(no need to keep full file history)
- no webserver induced file size limits
- can be combined with any version control system (e.g. for source code)
* Shows a manual syncying dialog to resolve conflicts,
while continuing to sync all remaining files.
* Client-side encryption (encfs replicas).
Defaults to auto-setup and mount encfs roots, if the replica
roots are named *.encfs or *.decfs.
* Separate unison logs for each profile in ~/.local/
* Personal configuration in ~/.config/
* Suitable for desktop environments, console, servers, and even network attached
storage. (starting "sucsynct watchdog <profile>" avoids the manager UI)
* Should work with any bash system (linux,bsd,mac)
and be adaptable for win-bash or cygwin on windows.
* unison at all involved hosts
* ssh-client on all initiating hosts where sucsynct gets executed for remote syncs
* ssh-server on all hosts to sync with from remote
For remote syncs, if you have not already, create a local ssh key pair with "ssh-keygen" and set up passwordless auth to the remote host with "ssh-copy-id <user>@
For a minimized systray status icon, you will currently need
zenity < 3.0 or yad installed.
(Gnome 3 allone is not appropriate anymore.)
* inotify-tools (inotifywatch) on all hosts for automatic event-triggered syncing
* unison-gtk (or unison compiled with "-ui graphic" support) on all initiating hosts
for graphical conflict resulution
* encfs on trusted hosts to encryt/decrypt replicas
(Set up an *.encfs directory and use it as a replica root.)
For further instructions and configuration execute sucsynct.
Favorably, use bazaar version control: "bzr branch lp:sucsynct" (get updates
with "bzr pull lp:sucsynct").
Or download the current tarball:
Community feedback, bug reports, patches and support is very welcome at https:/
After adding improvements to your local bazaar working copy of sucsynct, create a patchset with:
bzr commit --message=
All code Code
- Version control system:
- Programming languages:
All bugs Latest bugs reported
Bug #1323071: sucsynct doesn't run under Ubuntu 14.04
Reported on 2014-05-25
Bug #1036723: without zenity<3, or yad installed, exiting menu completely quits sucsynct
Reported on 2012-08-14