Binary package hint: kino
Kino is very old in Ubuntu - several new upstream versions (0.9.3, 0.9.4, 0.9.5 and 1.0.0) with important bugfixes and lots of improvements has been released, please package ver. 1.0.x
For improvements list look at the Release Notes at http://www.kinodv.org :
* New http://blip.tv/ uploading feature for movies and still frames! Watch a screencast for more information.
* Fixed audio handling on big endian CPU architectures (thanks, Pavel Fedin)
* Improved generic video import script when using mencoder: faster, no bulky intermediate file, less compatibility problem between mencoder and ffmpeg, and retains interlacing in ITU-R 601 sources
* Added support for X-Keys Editor USB Jog/Shuttle (thanks, Shawn Rutledge)
* Added support for Jog/Shuttle to FX (jog wheel and button actions that scrub only--no shuttle ring support)
* The USB Jog/Shuttle hotplug integration was changed to use udev. The new configure option is --enable-udev-rules-dir, which defaults to $sysconfdir/udev/rules.d/ The following configure options were removed: --enable-hotplug-script-dir, --enable-hotplug-usermap-dir
* Added private copy of ffmpeg source code for static linking with new configure options: --enable-local-ffmpeg(=yes by default), or --disable-local-ffmpeg NOTE: This option builds a statically linked, kino-specific version of the ffmpeg transcode utility named 'ffmpeg-kino' that is invoked by the Kino import script. ffmpeg-kino contains a bugfix for reading the audio on imported files. However, when --enable-local-ffmpeg=no, then the import script uses the normal ffmpeg found in the PATH.
* Updated Italian translation
* bugfixes, of course
* New Levels video filter replaces Gamma with keyframing of brightness, contrast, gamma, hue, saturation, value, and white balance (colour temperature with colour picker and green cast).
* Updated translations: French, Czech, Danish.
* Debut of French online help created using new web-based collaborative docbook authoring system.
* New KinoPlus-based FX plugins: Colour Average, Charcoal, Gamma, Jerky, Pan & Zoom, Pixelate, Composite Transition, Blue and Green Chroma Key
* New Fade In and Fade Out video filters
* Added non-WAV file support to audio filters Dub and Mix when you have ffmpeg and oggdec installed
* New Audio Gain filter with curve control
* Added curve controls to audio filters Dub and Mix
* Improved FX preview with multithreaded frame dropping (much better audio)
* Improved playback in Edit with frame dropping enabled
* Improved consistency and usability of FX user interface through tooltips, labels, and percentage-oriented widgets
* Added recent files (projects only) to File menu
* New docbook-based manual with collaboration website: http://www.kinodv.org/docbook/
* Internationalisation support for online help (translations pending)
* Online help now uses Yelp under GNOME to view docbook XML and Konqueror under KDE to view docbook-converted HTML
* New crash auto-recover feature that restores undo history (stored in $HOME/.kino-history)
* Updated translations: French, Spanish, Danish, Swedish, Czech, Hungarian, Russian.
* Added automatic widescreen and proper PAL support to Export/Other scripts
* Bugfix SMIL 2.0 parsing on numeric locales not using period as decimal point.
* Update FFMPEG export scripts to support latest version.
* Added SRT subtitle SaveAs option that supports user metadata.
* FX/Audio Transitions Dub and Mix now under Audio Filter.
* Improved Type 2 AVI parser.
* Automatically stop capture at end-of-tape (when AV/C enabled).
* Russian translation update.
* various bugfixes and cleanups.
please update Ubuntu packages - bugfixes and improvements from 1.0 must be included in Ubuntu !