no network access after ugrade breezy -> dapper
Binary package hint: upgrade-system
I'm having a hard time trying to upgrade from
breezy to dapper. I had in the past done several
upgrades from Hoary to Breezy on 2 machines
which went all fine. No so with official Dapper-6.06 LTS.
I will try to summarise:
- I had a breezy system, all packages up to date.
- I tried to upgrade to dapper but system crashed
during the upgrade (I don't have more details here)
- so I reinstalled my system from scratch from
a hoary CD (that's all I had) with default packages
- then upgraded hoary -> breezy (which went fine)
- then upgraded breezy -> dapper (by the way, I had
to manually remove old package linux-2.6.5 as
mentionned in the release notes when upgrading from
hoary->breezy or else upgrade was not allowed from
graphical upgrade manager)
- upgrade went though although I saw a couple of
possibly severe errors such as seg fault for example
when setting up PCMCIA (I don't have PCMCIA though)
(I will attach dist-upgrade-
When starting dapper afterwards, I had several issues:
- graphical boot up screen was truncated (I can
see half of it horizontally, this is not blocking).
- starting up froze the first 2 times I tried to boot
up with a black screen. I waited several long minutes. I could not see any activity (no disc access).
- I tried to start up again, and then GDM came up (although I made no change)
- however, network access does not work. I see
several errors in 'kern.log '
Jun 4 09:35:04 localhost kernel: [4294939.917000] 0000:00:0a.0: tulip_stop_rxtx() failed (CSR5 0xfc740000 CSR6 0x2042202)
This PC worked fine with Hoary and Breezy.
I will try to install Dapper from install CDs when
I receive them rather than doing an upgrade.
I will also attach several of my logs.
|Dominique Pellé (dominique-pelle) wrote : attached 'kern.log' showing errors with Ethernet device||#2|
|Changed in linux-source-2.6.15:|
|status:||Fix Committed → Fix Released|
|Changed in linux-restricted-modules-2.6.15:|
|assignee:||nobody → ben-collins|
|status:||New → Fix Released|