Binary package “groff” in ubuntu lucid
GNU troff text-formatting system
This package contains optional components of the GNU troff text-formatting
system. The core package, groff-base, contains the traditional tools like
troff, nroff, tbl, eqn, and pic. This package contains additional devices
and drivers for output to DVI, HTML (when the recommended packages
ghostscript, netpbm, and psutils are installed), HP LaserJet printers, and
Canon CAPSL LBP-4 and LBP-8 printers.
The X75, X75-12, X100, and X100-12 devices, which allow groff output to be
conveniently viewed on an X display using the standard X11 fonts, are now
included here. They were previously in a separate package, groff-x11.
Besides these, the groff package contains man pages describing the language
and its macro sets, info documentation, and a number of supplementary
- gxditview, which is used to display the output of the X* devices, and
can also be used to view PostScript output from groff;
- grn, a preprocessor for pictures in the 'gremlin' format;
- tfmtodit, which creates font files for use with 'groff -Tdvi';
- hpftodit, which creates font files for use with 'groff -Tlj4';
- afmtodit, which creates font files for use with 'groff -Tps';
- refer, which preprocesses bibliographic references for use with groff;
- indxbib, which creates inverted indices for bibliographic databases used
- lkbib and lookbib, which search bibliographic databases;
- addftinfo, which adds metric information to troff font files for use
- pfbtops, which translates a PostScript font in .pfb format to ASCII for
use with groff;
- mmroff, a simple groff preprocessor which expands references in mm;
- pic2graph, which converts PIC diagrams into cropped image files;
- eqn2graph, which converts EQN equations into cropped image files.
All the standard macro packages are supported.