bsdtar 2.8.0-2 (i386 binary) in ubuntu lucid
The bsdtar program has a number of advantages over previous tar
* Library. Since the core functionality is in a library, it can be
used by other tools, such as pkg_add.
* Automatic format detection. Libarchive automatically detects the
compression (none/gzip/bzip2) and format (old tar, ustar, gnutar,
pax, cpio, iso9660, zip) when reading archives. It does this for
any data source.
* Pax Interchange Format Support. This is a POSIX/SUSv3 extension to
the old "ustar" tar format that adds arbitrary extended attributes
to each entry. Does everything that GNU tar format does, only
* Handles file flags, ACLs, arbitrary pathnames, etc. Pax interchange
format supports key/value attributes using an easily-extensible
technique. Arbitrary pathnames, group names, user names, file sizes
are part of the POSIX standard; libarchive extends this with
support for file flags, ACLs, and arbitrary device numbers.
* GNU tar support. Libarchive reads most GNU tar archives. If there
is demand, this can be improved further.
- Package version:
- bsdtar_2.8.0-2_i386.deb (50.9 KiB)