Binary package “python-chardet” in ubuntu oneiric
universal character encoding detector
Chardet takes a sequence of bytes in an unknown character encoding, and
attempts to determine the encoding.
* ASCII, UTF-8, UTF-16 (2 variants), UTF-32 (4 variants)
* Big5, GB2312, EUC-TW, HZ-GB-2312, ISO-2022-CN (Traditional and Simplified
* EUC-JP, SHIFT_JIS, ISO-2022-JP (Japanese)
* EUC-KR, ISO-2022-KR (Korean)
* KOI8-R, MacCyrillic, IBM855, IBM866, ISO-8859-5, windows-1251 (Cyrillic)
* ISO-8859-2, windows-1250 (Hungarian)
* ISO-8859-5, windows-1251 (Bulgarian)
* windows-1252 (English)
* ISO-8859-7, windows-1253 (Greek)
* ISO-8859-8, windows-1255 (Visual and Logical Hebrew)
* TIS-620 (Thai)
This library is a port of the auto-detection code in Mozilla.