News and announcements
This is a bugfixing release, with more than 30 bugs squashed.
One new feature has been added; you can now manually control the speed of the wireless connection.
Here's the NEWS file:
- New feature: you can now manually control the speed of the wireless connection
- Lots (30+) of bugfixes (see launchpad or the CHANGES file for details)
WICD 1.7.2 has been released tonight.
This release was not really expected for now, but a security issue was found, and that pushed me to release what I had ready, instead of waiting for more bugfixes.
All the remaining fixes which were planned for 1.7.2 (and not already done) have been postponed to 1.7.3.
Here's the NEWS file:
- Fix local privilege escalation when setting configuration properties
through the daemon's DBus interface (CVE-2012-2095).
- Support passing no driver to wpa_supplicant.
- Fixed installation instructions, with the new >= 1.7.1 commands.
- Fixed typo preventing DHCP hostname from properly working.
- Renamed wpa templates to clarify usage.
- Fixed wicd-cli crash when switching wired network profiles.
- Fallback to mode 'Master' if 'None' is detected when scanning wifi
- Fixed bug when trying to start wicd multiple times.
- Fixed wicd-curses crash when trying to select wired encryption type,
thanks to Joe MacMahon.
- Fixed wicd-curses crash with UTF-8 encryption types.
- Fixed wicd-daemon crash when child_pid is undefined, thanks to
WICD 1.7.1 has been released tonight!
Here's the NEWS entry:
Changes for Packagers:
- You will now want to use the --python option to setup.py configure to
make sure the right Python (python2.x) is used. With the Python 3
transition in progress, the lack of uniformity across distros made it
difficult to find a solution that works everywhere. As a result, the
python executable path can be set (for subprocesses launched by Wicd)
with the --python option to setup.py configure, and patching of the
shebang lines may be required if `which python` is not python2.x.
- If you handle translations in your packaging process, setup.py now
needs 'pybabel' and 'xgettext' binaries. Please provide them during
the build process.
- setup.py now accepts three more parameters: --dbus-service=, --systemd=
and --logrotate=. Please set them accordingly to the paths of your
- (New) upstream author: David Paleino :)
- The translations are now handled by Rosetta, in Launchpad.
- Implemented support for wired connections needing authentication with
wpa_supplicant (thanks Joe MacMahon!)
- Support 'Never show networks' (thanks Robin Becker!)
- Mask out sensitive information in the logfile (CVE-2012-0813)
- Now uses gtkbuilder instead of libglade
- Fixed bug in script macro expansion
- Fixed typo in EAP-fast template
- Applied 1 patch from Archlinux (thanks Rémy Oudompheng)
- Fixed Python 2.7 support
- Works if Python3 is the default Python
- Applied 14 patches from Debian (big thank you to everyone
- Includes translations in source tarball
- Improved documentation
- Fixed resolv.conf permissions
- Ignore configparser errors
- Several others, please see CHANGES for more details
- Proper localization of all the code has been put in place -- every part
of the UIs and the daemon should be translated/
- Fixed various bugs with 'unicode in ESSID' handling
- Implemented rfkill-support
- Generalized libc linking using ctypes' find_library()
- Fixed wireless connecting status message, now shows the correct ESSID
- Support wifi-channels with more than 2 digits
- Implemented in-GUI password hiding
- Implemented -t/--tray to only run the wicd-gtk tray icon
- Support alternative ifconfig output style
the release of 1.7.1 is near, but we need your help to translate WICD to as many languages as possible.
From this release, WICD will use Launchpad's Rosetta: just head to https:/
There isn't a deadline just because some other bugs need fixing for 1.7.1 -- but hurry up! The more translations we get, the better.
on behalf of the WICD Development Team