This tool is used for writing images to USB sticks or SD/CF cards on Windows.
This program was initially written to fill a need for Ubuntu Jaunty (9.04) Netbook Remix. Recently, it has grown in popularity for other project developers, namely Arm development projects (Android, Ubuntu on Arm, etc). Anyone is free to branch and modify this program. Patches are always welcome.
This project is currently being migrated to Sourceforge. Please be patient.
Downloads are now on Sourceforge only.
All FAQs FAQs for Image Writer
- I wrote a downloaded image to my removable drive, now Windows says it is corrupted
- What tools are used to build Win32DiskImager
- Image Writer keeps popping up "Access Denied" Error 5, what can i do ?
- Is there a way to recover an SD/USB/External drive after it has been written to?
- What is the Export Classification Number (ECCN) for Win32Disk Imager
All bugs Latest bugs reported
Bug #1482335: Lock Error: "Access is denied"
Reported on 2015-08-06
Bug #1480410: Image Writer butchers all my disks
Reported on 2015-07-31
Bug #1478406: Workaround for error 2 and 1117
Reported on 2015-07-26
Bug #1438499: Does not work with windows 10, tried it with latest build. Bad for raspberry Pi users who depend on it.
Reported on 2015-03-31
Bug #1399045: Better Command line Parsing
Reported on 2014-12-04
All questions Latest questions
The Possible Test scenarios
Posted on 2015-08-20
can't read from a microSD card
Posted on 2015-08-17
Downloading the Image writer
Posted on 2015-07-25
How can I boot and install windows XP via USB?
Posted on 2015-06-26
Win32 DiskImager has a very slow startup, sometimes it just doesn't open.
Posted on 2015-04-06