GNU ARM Embedded Toolchain 4.8-2013-q4-major
The first 4.8 release
Download files for this release
Release notes for
GNU Tools for ARM Embedded Processors 4.8
This release includes the following items:
* Bare metal EABI pre-built binaries for running on a Windows host
* Bare metal EABI pre-built binaries for running on a Linux host
* Bare metal EABI pre-built binaries for running on a Mac OS X host
* Source code package (together with build scripts and instructions to setup
build environment), composed of:
* gcc : ARM/embedded-
* binutils : 2.23 with mainline backports
* newlib : 2.0
* gdb : 7.6 with mainline backports, without target sim support
* cloog 0.18.0 :
* libelf 0.8.13 : http://
* libiconv 1.14 :
* mpfr 2.4.2 : ftp://gcc.
* isl 0.11.1 : ftp://gcc.
* zlib 1.2.5 with makefile patch :
* newlib-nano 2.0 : Included in source package
* gcc-plugins : Plugin source from gcc.gnu.
* Windows XP/7 32/64 bits (with installer and alternative zip package)
* Linux 32/64 bits
- Ubuntu 8.x or later (tarball)
- Ubuntu 10.04/12.04/13.04 (tarball and PPA)
- RHEL 4/5 (tarball)
* Mac OS X 10.7.3 and newer 64 bits (tarball)
Supported target OS:
* Bare metal EABI only
* All GCC 4.8 features, plus latest mainline features
- Cortex-R7 support
* Additional code size optimizations
- Don't expand multiply instruction for Thumb-1.
- Avoid unnecessary lr save instruction for Thumb-1.
* Newlib-nano: newlib branch optimized for code size
* Cortex-A profile multilib
* Link Time Optimization (LTO)
* A new compiler option -mslow-flash-data to minimize the literal load to
boost performance for some armv7-m targets.
* A new compiler option -mpic-data-
addressing data with PC relative.
* Avoid missing _sbrk issue when .specs is used.
* Support multiple RAM sessions in startup code.
* A GCC plugin to optimize Finite State Machine program.
* Tested on a variety of Cortex-
* Tested on Qemu
Important bugs fixed in 4.8 2013q4 major release:
* Branch to symbol defined in linker script
* GDB is upgraded to 7.6 to better support dwarf-3 and later standard
* ICE when use high register as PIC base register for thumb-1 target
Known Changes and Issues:
* Unlike the previous releases, this release O2 optimization level doesn't
unroll loop. To tune the strategy to get better performance for your
case, please refer to unrolling related parameters in associated gcc manual.
* The gcc regression test case pr42575.c now fails due to suboptimal code
on 64-bit integer multiply caused by gcc new rtx cost model.
* This version of GCC still cannot handle volatile packed structure correctly.
Please avoid such usage in source code.
This release does not have a changelog.
1 blueprint and 3 bugs targeted
|Optimize compiler and library for Cortex-M4||Optimize compiler and library for Cortex-M4||1 Undefined||chengbin||11 Implemented|
|1244821||#1244821||internal-error: frame_cleanup_after_sniffer: Assertion `frame->prologue_cache == NULL' failed||2 Critical||Terry Guo||10 Fix Released|
|1248981||#1248981||arm-none-eabi-gdb crashes with segfault:11||2 Critical||Terry Guo||10 Fix Released|
|1252221||#1252221||ld: Inconsistent debug information with -gdwarf-4 and --gc-sections.||2 Critical||Terry Guo||10 Fix Released|