Subunit is a streaming protocol for test results. The protocol is a binary encoding that is easily generated and parsed. By design all the components of the protocol conceptually fit into the xUnit TestCase-
Subunit comes with command line filters to process a subunit stream and
language bindings for python, C, C++ and shell. Bindings are easy to write
for other languages.
A number of useful things can be done easily with subunit:
* Test aggregation: Tests run separately can be combined and then
can be shown as a seamless whole.
* Test archiving: A test run may be recorded and replayed later.
* Test isolation: Tests that may crash or otherwise interact badly with each
other can be run seperately and then aggregated, rather than interfering
with each other.
* Grid testing: subunit can act as the necessary serialisation and
deserialiation to get test runs on distributed machines to be reported in
Subunit supplies the following filters:
* tap2subunit - convert perl's TestAnythingPro
* subunit2pyunit - convert a subunit stream to pyunit test results.
* subunit2gtk - display a subunit stream in a gtk window.
* subunit2junitxml - convert a subunit stream to a JUnit XML representation.
* subunit-diff - diff two subunit streams.
* subunit-filter - filter out tests from a subunit stream.
* subunit-ls - list the tests present in a subunit stream.
* subunit-stats - generate a summary of a subunit stream.
* subunit-tags - add or remove tags from a stream.
A mailing list for discussion, usage and development is at https:/
Subunit is shipped by recent Debian and Ubuntu versions. Newer versions for Ubuntu may be available from either of the two Personal Package Archives : https:/
All bugs Latest bugs reported
Bug #1292757: Fix dependency on testscenarios
Reported on 2014-03-15
Bug #1290932: subunit exits with non-zero code whenever a test fails
Reported on 2014-03-11
Bug #1284446: test_output_filter.py tests fail with attribute error on self.option
Reported on 2014-02-25
Bug #1279669: Missing subunit2csv filter when using pip version 1.5.2 to install subunit
Reported on 2014-02-13
Bug #1274056: Fails with testtools == 0.9.35
Reported on 2014-01-29
All packages Packages in Distributions
“subunit” source package in Trusty
Version 0.0.18-0ubuntu7 uploaded on 2014-02-12
“subunit” source package in Squeeze
Version 0.0.6-1 uploaded on 2010-07-06
“subunit” source package in Sid
Version 0.0.18-2 uploaded on 2014-04-03
“subunit” source package in Saucy
Version 0.0.12-0ubuntu1 uploaded on 2013-06-05
“subunit” source package in Raring
Version 0.0.8+bzr176-1ubuntu4 uploaded on 2013-01-22